Towing a camper trailer

From: Justin Bouillet (justin@energy-ex.com)
Date: Wed May 01 1996 - 10:50:43 EDT

Howdy y'all!

I have an 87 Dakota LE with a 3.9 carb'd V6. I don't know what my rear
axle ratio is (I think it's a 3.90). I'm planning on going camping the
next long weekend and I want to pull a trailer which is approx. 2000 lbs.

My truck isn't adequately equipped with all the equipment for pulling a
trailer. Here are my questions:

- I have those silly kiddy mirrors. Can I pull a set of full size mirrors
off a full size Ram Truck or Van and put them on, or do I have to get a
set from a wrecked Dakota?

- My bumper hitch is rated at 2000 lbs. Should I get a hitch set-up that
attaches to the frame or is the bumper hitch sufficient for pulling the
trailer?

- What is a good type/brand electric braking unit to use for the trailer?

- Where can I find wiring instructions for building a wiring harness
between the truck and trailer?

- How well does a V6 handle pulling a 2000 lb trailer through hills and
mountains?

Thanks in advance!

Justin Bouillet         justin@energy-ex.com
Energy Exchange Inc.    http://www.energy-ex.com