Re: Towing a camper trailer

From: Ron Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed May 01 1996 - 11:44:33 EDT

>I have an 87 Dakota LE with a 3.9 carb'd V6.

>I want to pull a trailer which is approx. 2000 lbs.

>- I have those silly kiddy mirrors. Can I pull a set of full size mirrors
>off a full size Ram Truck or Van and put them on, or do I have to get a
>set from a wrecked Dakota?

  Good question. I have been towing with those little 5x7 mirrors for
about a year now. They are not the best for towing. My plan was to
buy a set of those $15 extention towing mirrors, but I haven't done it
yet. I think the 5x7 mirrors are OK for normal driving and hauling
(once I put a 2" fisheye to reduce my blind spots), and do not wish to
permanently change the mirrors.

>- My bumper hitch is rated at 2000 lbs. Should I get a hitch set-up that
>attaches to the frame or is the bumper hitch sufficient for pulling the
>trailer?

  Frankly, I'm paranoid about towing, and like to have equipment that exceeds
my intended capacity. I'm only towing about 3000-3500 pounds, but I shelled
out the $90 for a Class III frame-mount receiver that should be good for
5000#. It's great peace of mind, even if it is somewhat overkill.

  That said, you might be OK using your bumper to tow. You are right at
the Class II capacity limit, so if I were you I'd buy a bolt-on receiver
and know I was safe.

>- What is a good type/brand electric braking unit to use for the trailer?

  I haven't had the need to get trailer brakes with my boat trailer. My
'95 Dakota's brakes have handled it adequately.

>- Where can I find wiring instructions for building a wiring harness
>between the truck and trailer?

  In the factory shop manual wiring diagram. You'd be better off shelling
out $25 for one of those plug-in adapters, IMO. No wiring cuts or splices to
screw things up. Remember that you might need a heavy-duty flasher to handle
the extra current load.

>- How well does a V6 handle pulling a 2000 lb trailer through hills and
>mountains?

  I don't know. I got a V8!

  Ron