Re: OBD Scare

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu May 09 1996 - 10:17:39 EDT

>> I've posted the scary facts about OBD-III here two times

  There are some mighty Orwellian overtones to OBD-n, no doubt.

>real problem isn't the hype about transmitters and getting speeding tickets
>in the mail, but about the push to eliminate the shadetree mechanic.

  I have to agree with this, for the most part (I'm still paranoid about
the transmitters, but that doesn't mean we won't be able to, um, 'enhance'
the OBD transmitter, right? ;) .

  The trend towards requiring a $10,000 diagnostic computer to do basic
automotive maintenance bothers me very much. I've got to believe that
the market will take advantage of the OBD-n standards, and encourage
third party manufacturers to make cheap diagnostic tools for the DIYer.

  Ron "Still Needs One For The '95" Rader

P.S. That $200 interface out of the JC Whitney catalog (don't remember the
name) is a step in the right direction, but as a 'one size fits all'
solution is far too limited in functionality. I'm willing to buy multiple
testers for multiple automobiles IFF they provide most of the functionality
of the factory testers.