OBD Scare

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Thu May 09 1996 - 08:04:29 EDT

> I've posted the scary facts about OBD-III here two times, and it
seems
>as if most people think this is an exaggerated hoax. I'm glad to see
someone
>else talk about it. Its a disaster. Not only will your car transmit
emissions
>data so that roadside receviers can pick up your VIN # and send you a
>registration revocation in the mail unless you report to an inspection
station.
>But the system will also be used for speed enforcement, since part of the
>OBD-III transmitted data contains the speed of your car. Instant ticket,
>and no radar detector in the world can help you. Your car will just
merrily
>transmit its speed as you drive along. Oh, and for you civil
liberatarians
>out there, the system will also allow the gov't to know when and where you
>are driving your car since your vehicle is now a transmitter. OBD-III
>is the dream system of the big government crowd, environmental nazis, and
>ticket revenue pigs. Its a total disaster. People are not informed on
>this and its going to sneak up and be here one day and we won't be able to
>get rid of it...

To be honest, I kind of like having a system that can monitor my vehicle's
operation and tell me when things are in need of repair. It takes the
guess work out of DIY maintainence. The key words there is 'tell me'. I
don't want some system that arrests me because it's oxygen sensor was
grounded when the wire rubed on the catalytic heat shield. I also don't
want a system that I HAVE to visit the dealer simply to get the computer to
tell me that the air mass sensor has been getting strange signals. The
real problem isn't the hype about transmitters and getting speeding tickets
in the mail, but about the push to eliminate the shadetree mechanic.
Working on a modern engine is EASY! Modules, sensors, and other plug and
play systems have taken a lot of the skill out of engine repair. The hard
part is the diagnosis. Having much more detailed diagnostic information is
wonderful. Dealerships will end up being a parts swap shop. This is
exactly what they want. Get big $$ from the sales of cars, and keep the
service costs down with easy diagnostic and replacement parts.

Think about it, replacing a fuel injector is much easier than adjusting the
jets of a carb. Electronic ignition modules are swaped in 30 seconds, how
long does adjusting a distributor take? Your engine has lost power. Is it
as simple as a dirty air cleaner, or is the timing chain worn? With
accurate and reliable sensors, this question is easy to answer, but not if
you can't get at the information. And this hording of the information is
the trend that is being overlooked.

This is the real impact of OBD. Forcing the consumer to return to an
'authorized' factory repair center that follows the three step repair
method. 1) plug in computer. 2) replace items listed. 3) charge customer
outragous price.

OBD-II is here now. 1996 is the first year of the phase-in. Does anybody
know exactly what has been affected by it? What does next year bring? I
keep hearing the hype and fears, but I've yet to see any real problems.

When transmitters go from hype to spec, then I might be more concerned.
Right now, it all simply looks like the same type of fear everyone had when
fuel injection hit the market.

Christopher Siano | A little Revolution
CSiano@Banyan.com | now and again
    0- | is a good thing.