Re: OBD Scare (fwd)

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Thu May 09 1996 - 14:27:51 EDT

&
& The trend towards requiring a $10,000 diagnostic computer to do basic
& automotive maintenance bothers me very much. I've got to believe that
& the market will take advantage of the OBD-n standards, and encourage
& third party manufacturers to make cheap diagnostic tools for the DIYer.
&
& Ron "Still Needs One For The '95" Rader
&
& P.S. That $200 interface out of the JC Whitney catalog (don't remember the
& name) is a step in the right direction, but as a 'one size fits all'
& solution is far too limited in functionality. I'm willing to buy multiple
& testers for multiple automobiles IFF they provide most of the functionality
& of the factory testers.

I think this is one of the main ideas behind OBDI and OBDII.
Standardization. That part of it at least is good. A good
diagnostic system that I could use to fix my car would be great.

As for transmitters, they could be a cellular phone that could call in
to a modem when something went wrong. There are coke machines that
call in on the phone when they need refilling. The technology is there.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-4848 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Yamaha IT175 XT350 YZF600 Seca750 Kawi KDX200
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 KC6WUG, AMA, DoD #7566, NMLRA, I'm the NRA.