Re: OBD Scare

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu May 09 1996 - 13:40:47 EDT

>>> I'm willing to buy multiple
>>> testers for multiple automobiles IFF they provide most of the functionality
>>> of the factory testers.

>>Why not just a parallel port interface and some software so you can
>>wire-up your laptop to the OBD.

> For sure... If you need to test a different automobile, you just have
>to buy another software package, rather than a whole 'nother system.

  That's all well and good for those of you with OBD-II compliant management
systems. Previous to that, the ECM interfaces are basically proprietary,
and not merely the software interface. The hardware interfaces are also
different, meaning at the bare minimum you'd have to have a port
adapter for each interface 'flavor.' Might involve some active electronics,
since I've heard rumors about some really weird serial interfaces.

  A "one size fits all" system is simply going to provide a subset of pre-
OBD compliant functions, since each system supports different testing and
managment processes. Hence my hesitation to shell out the bucks for that
Whitney gadget (the XP-200?).

  Does anyone know of an ECM interface tester for the '95 Dakota?

  Ron