Re: OBD Scare

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Thu May 09 1996 - 14:08:58 EDT

> True, but that should be fairly easy to disable, or at least defeat
>(I wonder how many OBD-III systems will be covered with Faraday cages? ;).
>Never underestimate the ingenuity of automotive hackers!

"Gee Mr Officer Sir, that's just a fancy roll cage, honest. Just want to
protect the computer."

Seriously, I work in the Network industry and am a Ham radio operator. I'd
like to know how they intend to have EVERY vehicle transmitting at the same
time and be able to catch meaningful data with collision, intermod, and all
the other problems common with both broadcast networks and radio
communications! Just think of the background RF that is going to be
produced with all these little transmitters. And, if they only transmit
when requested, it's easy to detect the request transmission, so a detector
could be designed. I just don't see a way this kind of system would work
in an Urban environment which is where the money to buy the reading
equipment would come from. Even Cellular technology is getting cramped and
overrun and there are far fewer cell phones than there are cars.

This is why I don't see transmitting OBD anytime soon, and suspect that the
topic has been used to move attention away from the real issue that dealer
service may become mandatory.

Christopher Siano | A little Revolution
CSiano@Banyan.com | now and again
    0- | is a good thing.