Re: Different horn for my Dakota?

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri May 10 1996 - 11:03:17 EDT

You wrote:

>Hello, revered members of the DML and MML:
>
>I was thinking about replacing the horn on my '96 Dakota, 'cause I don't
>really like it's "tone"... sounds kinda cheesy for a truck horn. I had
>tried an aftermarket electrical horn, and it was even cheesier-sounding than
>the stock horn so then I considered getting an aftermarket air horn, but
>there isn't a whole lot of space (read: hardly any) between the grill and
>the radiator (which is where the stock horn mounts)...and I don't feel like
>mounting it on the fenderwell... I thought maybe I could save a couple
>bucks and get a decent sounding older Mopar horn at a junkyard somewhere.
> I'd like to get one that was good and loud, and maybe had a "two-tone" or
>"two-horn" sound to it... One of those "meep-meep" RR horns would be great,
>but I'm sure they're hard to find... Any ideas, suggestions,
>recommendations, limitations, aggravations??
>(A 12V horn is a 12V horn is a 12V horn, right??)
>TIA
>
>Ciao!

    Ned, on my old Dakota (1991 LE 5.2), I took out the battery... Drilled holes
in the edge of the battery holder (which is welded to the fender), then bolted in
3 air horns (the triple plastics ones). Then bolted the compressor to the fender
(there was a hole there, and access for the nut was a little tough). I then
re-installed the battery, and had 1" of clearance between the base of the battery
and the bolts... No problem.

    ...Sam
        ...'95 SLT Dakota