Different horn for my Dakota? -Reply

From: KEN MANSFIELD (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Fri May 10 1996 - 11:24:28 EDT

Ned,

I hated my horn too ('92 Dakota), so when it filled w/ water and rusted, I happily went shopping for a new horn. I ended up w/ one from Pep Boys...that sounds
worse!

Oh well.

I thought about drilling holes in the radiator mounting frame to let the sound out the front, but haven't done that yet.

HEY, DODGE, YOUR DAKOTA HORN SUCKS!

BTW, I was riding a BMW K1100 and blew the horn. I nearly jumped off the seat...it was SOO loud. Nice 2-tone Euro sound. Maybe you should check it out
for the Dakota.

Ken

attached mail follows:

Hello, revered members of the DML and MML:

I was thinking about replacing the horn on my '96 Dakota, 'cause I don't
really like it's "tone"... sounds kinda cheesy for a truck horn. I had
tried an aftermarket electrical horn, and it was even cheesier-sounding than
the stock horn so then I considered getting an aftermarket air horn, but
there isn't a whole lot of space (read: hardly any) between the grill and
the radiator (which is where the stock horn mounts)...and I don't feel like
mounting it on the fenderwell... I thought maybe I could save a couple
bucks and get a decent sounding older Mopar horn at a junkyard somewhere.
 I'd like to get one that was good and loud, and maybe had a "two-tone" or
"two-horn" sound to it... One of those "meep-meep" RR horns would be great,
but I'm sure they're hard to find... Any ideas, suggestions,
recommendations, limitations, aggravations??
(A 12V horn is a 12V horn is a 12V horn, right??)
TIA

Ciao!

          Network Administrator | _ _ _ _ _ _
        Rockville General Hospital | |_` |_` _ |_| |_| |_ |_| |_`
        (nvogler@rghosp.chime.org) | ,_| | | | |_ |\ ,_|
   '96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab |
   '84 Nighthawk 650 '85 Honda XR-350R | ----------------------------