RE: OBD Scare

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Mon May 13 1996 - 13:29:24 EDT

From: CSiano@banyan.com@INTERNET on Mon, May 13, 1996 9:23 AM

>> I've posted the scary facts about OBD-III here two times, and it
>>seems as if most people think this is an exaggerated hoax. I'm glad to see
>>someone else talk about it. Its a disaster. Not only will your car transmit
>>emissions .....

>This is the real impact of OBD. Forcing the consumer to return to an
>'authorized' factory repair center that follows the three step repair
>method. 1) plug in computer. 2) replace items listed. 3) charge customer
>outragous price.

>OBD-II is here now. 1996 is the first year of the phase-in. Does anybody
>know exactly what has been affected by it? What does next year bring? I
>keep hearing the hype and fears, but I've yet to see any real problems.

An aquantaince of mine is the N.E. Technical Service Rep for Toyota (he is the
guy called when the mechanics can't figure it out). When we had a discussion on
OBD last year after he had got back from training his two cents was that it was
a common interface that would be used by all manufacturers selling cars in the
US so that specialized equipment for running diagnostics would not be required
for each brand of car as well as adding more advanced diagnostic capabilities.

This sounds to me to be more of a benifit to the shadetree mechanic than not.

My own experince is with CC and Ford. You get to click the key and count flashes
on my CC products but the diagnostics system in my Ford blows the CC system out
of water. Granted I had to spend $39.00 on a code reader but the Ford system
allows you to read current codes, stored codes from intermitant problems, key on
engine off excersise of the system and an engining running excersise of the
system. There are well over 100 different codes the system can deliver and the
diagnostics manual that cme with the code reader has a decsion path that helps
you thru the process.

If OBD standardizes across all makes and adds more advanced diagnostics even
paying $200 for a read out tool is well worth it. The only thing I see that the
Ford dealer computer does over my $39.00 tool is to automate the process.

As far as road side monitoring is concerned the chances of that happening any
time in the near future is slim to none. The manufactures will resist it because
it will add cost that they will have a hard time passing on (look how long it
took to get air bags in cars), states will resist it because of the cost (the
feds can't even get them all to pass seat belt laws with the threat of hiway
fund lost) and consumers will resist it. Even if a system is rolled out the
procedures to defeat it will be available before the first car hits the road.

Dave Clement