Tow hitches

From: Steve Gepford (gepfords@ohsu.edu)
Date: Mon May 13 1996 - 14:29:23 EDT

I am going to bring up an old topic here that has been pretty much already
discussed but now I am interested in getting a different hitch.

I currently have the bumper hitch rated at 2,000lbs. I want to go with a
frame mounted hitch w/the receiver block type.

An article from Ron Salzl pointed out that a class lll type hitch was rated
for 5,000lbs and that a 3.9 engine w/3.55 rear end was good for 8,000lbs. I
am assuming that he was referring to the capacities of 4WD vehicles.

My Dakota is a lowly "88" 2WD 3.9 engine and I don't know what the "rear"
gear ratio is.

I have priced two hitches, one was a "Valley" @ $160.65 the other was a
"Quality F" @ $79.60, both were rated for 5,000lbs. and both companies
claimed that they would not interfere with my spare tire assembly.

Does anyone have any advise to offer me at this point? I would rather go
with the cheaper one, but you know the old saying, (you get what you pay
for). I have not done any serious research nor have I ventured beyond a
phone call to the outlet distributer's that offer these, so I really don't
know what they look like or how they compare.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Satellite Steve