RE: Tow hitches

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Tue May 14 1996 - 11:26:00 EDT

Hi Steve -

According to Ron's post, a 3.9L with a 3.55 rear end ratio in a Club Cab 4x4
gives you 8,000 lb. capacity, but that is GCVWR (gross combined vehicle
weight rating) which includes the truck, passengers, cargo, fluids, etc. If
you figure on the truck weighing between 3700-4000 lbs. (check your door
jamb sticker), that'd leave you somewhere around a 4000-4300# towing
capacity. I'm not sure if they used the under hood option sticker in 1988
but that is where my rear end ratio is listed. Sometimes you can also call
your dealer and get the specs on your truck as delivered from the factory.

As far as the aftermarket hitches go, I put a Class III Draw-Tite
receiver-style hitch on my '96 Club Cab 4x4. It cost me just over $200.00
with the receiver, wiring harness which plugs into the truck's wiring (no
cutting necessary), tow bar w/ball, heavy-duty flasher, and installation.
 IMO you're better off going with a name brand hitch, but you may hear
different from others on the list. Good luck.

Ciao!

          Network Administrator | _ _ _ _ _ _
        Rockville General Hospital | |_` |_` _ |_| |_| |_ |_| |_`
        (nvogler@rghosp.chime.org) | ,_| | | | |_ |\ ,_|
   '96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab |
   '84 Nighthawk 650 '85 Honda XR-350R | ----------------------------