Re: Mudflaps redux

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu May 30 1996 - 08:25:49 EDT

[This is a reply to a very old message I sent out over the list.
Just got this question from Tim, and didn't know whether he was
still on the list. Hence, I'm sending my reply both to Tim
personally, and the list in general. Hope nobody minds. - rlr]

Me:

>> I just bought a set of 3rd-party "semi-custom" (meaning they make about
>>4 styles that fit a variety of vehicles) molded flaps for my Dakota.

Tim:

>getting ready to do the same thing to mine and wondered where specifically
>you picked these up?

  Well, I finally got smart and replaced those Powerflow semi-custom
molded flaps with generic flat fiberglass-reinforced rubber truck mud
flaps. Looks much better, IMO, and works 100% better. Both sets
were purchased at run of the mill auto parts stores (Western Auto,
Advance, or AutoZone), and must be available everywhere in the US.

  The molded rubber semi-custom flaps always looked cheesy, and were
curved so close to each tire that they provided very little protection
for my Dakota's body. My quarter panels have the rock chips to prove
it :( . I was hoping they'd work like the factory flaps on my wife's
Nissan, and was sorely disappointed.

  My generic flat rubber flaps look a whole lot better, and actually
protect the body. No rocks kicked up into the paint, no mud splashes,
nada. Very nice, and cheaper to boot. Luckily, I used those clip
on retainers for both sets of flaps and did not drill any new holes.
I clipped on to the SLT fender molding; if you've got a Sport you'll
have to clip on to the fender itself.

  Ron "Live And Learn; 500 Chips Later" Rader