Re: Loud "roar"?

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 1996 - 10:17:18 EDT

>the engine on my 96' 4x4 ext. cab
>SLT V8 Auto. seems to roar loudly, until you get up to highway speed
>and the tranny shifts into OD. I notice the RPMs on the tach are not
>really different, but the thing sounds terrible.. !?

  I'll bet it's your cooling fan. My '95 318 w/5sp has done this since
day one. It'll roar like crazy until I run it > 35mph. I do believe
there is a TSB out on this complaint. However, the fan clutch appears
to be working correctly.

  The factory service manual corroborates the roar, and mentions that it
is due to the clutch shifting from Warm to Cool mode, and is nothing to
worry about.

  As long as your truck isn't running hot, and isn't always running with
the clutch engaged, I wouldn't worry about it. There are debug procedures
in the FSM if it really bothers you.

  Ron