Re: dies and tach.

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Jun 18 1996 - 01:22:27 EDT

You wrote:

>Tach: One of two problems. It's an electronic tach, obviously. The meter's
>electromechanical movement could be binding (any sign that the shaft of the
>indicator rubs on the panel?). Or, the signal from the SBEC isn't getting
>to the gauge. Cold solder joints on the instrument panel may be the problem.
>I had to jumper the instrument lights because the connector-to-PCB connection
>wasn't complete all the time.
>
>We must love these vehicles to put up with all this!
>
>Jim

    You should here the stories I hear from guys with Chevys and Fords... Heck at
least we are HONEST about problems with our trucks!!! ;)

    The quick check to do on the SBEC is to remove the connector to the unit,
clean it with a contact cleaner (Virgin Freon if you still can get it, and NOT
the AC Freon!!!)... Then re-attach the connector to the SBEC... I have swapped
my mopar performance and stock sbec a few times...and the connection is somewhat
poor I think. I had a friend of mine with a '92 Dakota have all of his lights go
out...The dealer removed the SBEC connector, then re-attached it and all the
lights came back on fine... He had the dealer replace the SBEC connection
harness though...Having your lights go out on a trip through Montana and night
sounds a little TOO FUN for me!!

    ..Sam '95 SLT Dakota...