RE: Oil Pressure Guage

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Thu Jun 20 1996 - 07:44:34 EDT

To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET; dburton@hq.walldata.
com@INTERNET
From: Clement_D on Thu, Jun 20, 1996 7:47 AM
Subject: RE: Oil Pressure Guage

From: dburton@hq.walldata.com@INTERNET on Wed, Jun 19, 1996 10:16 PM

>I have had a problem with my oil pressure guage since day one. It sticks
>every now again. I have had it in the shop under warranty twice already
for
>it. They said the sending unit was bad and replaced it. I didn't have any

>problems with it all last summer and winter and now it is acting up again.
> Anyone else experience this problem? I will be taking it in to have it
>looked at again this weekend and will let you know what the diagnosis was.
> As with the tach problem on another thread, if I tap on the face of the
>guage it usually springs to life, but that's not working anymore.

I have had problems with the sender on both of my Daytona's (same part as on
my Dakota) but your problem sounds like the gauge itself. The Tach in my
current Daytona will stick from time to time and the speedo in my wifes
Tempo sticks. It usually happens after there has been a significant change
in the ambient temperature. I suspect that the temperature change is causing
the movement to bind.

A quick way to check to see if it is the gauge or sender is to start the
engine and disconnect the sender the gauge should go to zero, then short the
gauge to ground and it should go full scale. When you connect it back up it
should be reading on scale.

Dave Clement