RE: Speaking of oil...

From: Glenn S. Wiltse (iggy@merit.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 20 1996 - 09:25:59 EDT

I would agree that synthetic oil is of very little advantage in a V8. Maybe
in a smaller V6 or 4 cylinder engine, or Turbo application.
  However I have a question about additives like Slick 50. I know they
don't recomend things like this during break in, but I thought that
break in was about 500 miles. Is there a problem with adding teflon
treatments after the first oil change?

  I don't put a lot of faith in CR, but that's another matter... I'm sure
they can do some good reports on something like this motor oil thing...
 I have been going with this oil change plan that my dad recomends...
He says, to changer your oil and filter every 5,000 miles, basicly because
it's a reasonable interval, and you don't even have to write anything
down about when you last changed it. Just wait for the next 5,000 on the
odometer. 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, ect... It's simple, and I like simple.

  As for Oily subjects, my brother(20 years a mechanic) recomended to
me, that I run a straight weight oil in the summer. He felt that it
was less likely to break down. I guess he was skeptical of the things
that may be needed to create a multi weight oil. This doesn't work
very well in the winter however, when the temperature goes down to
frezing or below. I ended up deciding I'd put more faith in the muti
weight oils, and stick with 5W-30.

  Me, I'm partial to Castrol GTX in perticular.

On 20 Jun 1996 Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com wrote:

> To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET; stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.
> edu@INTERNET
> From: Clement_D on Thu, Jun 20, 1996 7:40 AM
> Subject: RE: Speaking of oil...
> > My '96 318 just passed the 11,000 mile mark not too long ago. At
> >12, its due for another oil change. Since it is past 10,000 miles, and
> >the engine should have "broken in" by now, does anyone forsee any problems
> >with using synthetic oil from now on?
Lot's O Stuff deleted