Surface Rust Update

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Thu Jun 20 1996 - 12:44:00 EDT

Hi all -

Had my '96 Dakota in for it's 9k mile service and mentioned to the dealer
about the surface rust that was showing up on the edges of both of my
bumpers and my rims (stock chrome). When I came to pick up the truck that
evening, they had done a nice job of cleaning off the surface rust from the
bumpers and they attributed it to the lack of chrome plating on the inside
of the bumpers where the rust starts, and it gradually works its way out to
the visible area. On the rear bumper he said that the license plate marker
light brackets (those little oval chrome pieces) were rusting and causing
the bumper to rust so they would be replace under warranty. He also said
that he has seen some problems with the '96 chrome wheels and he had ordered
three new wheels for me (also under warranty). He didn't specifically say
whether or not there was a TSB out on the chrome wheels (I know there was
one for the 1994's), but any of you folks who are experiencing rust problems
with your wheels or other chrome parts, GET IT DOCUMENTED. I figure if this
continues to happen, maybe CC will come down a little harder on the company
that actually makes these parts and we'll all end up better off. At least
I've got written evidence of a problem that has started after only 7 months
and 9k miles. Good luck.

| Ned Vogler - Network Administrator | ---------------------------- |
| Rockville General Hospital, CT | _ _ _ _ _ _ |
| (nvogler@rghosp.chime.org) - Work | |_` |_` _ |_| |_| |_ |_| |_` |
| (nvogler@juno.com) - Home | ,_| | | | |_ |\ ,_| |
| '96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab | |
| '84 Nighthawk 650 '85 Honda XR-350R | ---------------------------- |