RE: reusing auto trans oil in t/c

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 21 1996 - 17:49:30 EDT

>A few days back some one wrote that they reuse their auto tranny fluid
>in their transfer case. I would not recommend reusing used oil in the

That would be me.

First off, a healthy AT doesn't stress ATF too badly. There are five quarts
of the stuff in the A518. With the tow package, it's kept pretty cool. In
essence, even after 40K miles, it's almost like new.

Second, if you have the tranny worked on, as I did (complete rebuild at the
beep-beep shop), they're not likely to put Chrysler 7176 back in it. 7176 is
slipperier than normal Dextron III. The only thing better is probably synthetic,
but that's pretty pricey considering what you're about to do with it:

The transfer case lube should be changed after any dusty off-road excursion
(at next oil change, no need to be anal about it) and especially if the xfer
case has been submerged in water [likewise the rear diff. the front diff has
a breather tube, but for some reason Dodge didn't see fit to give the SureGrip
a breather..]. This is because the propeller shaft is connected to the back
of the xfer case with a slip-yoke.

Real four-wheelers would change this setup to a U-joint knuckle on a fixed
output shaft, with a custom propeller shaft incorporating the slip-yoke.
That way, the sliding shaft doesn't introduce dust to the xfer case, and the
rear seal on the xfer case lasts MUCH longer.

Basically, I consider the xfer case pretty rough service for ATF to handle.
They used to use gear lube in these puppies, but the clearances in the New
Process units won't allow that (and ATF has a lot less drag, thus better mpg).
By reusing the ATF I saved from putting real ChryCo 7176 where it belongs,
I can afford to change the xfer case lube as often as it ought to be. If you
can afford to pour new ATF in there every other weekend, be my guest...

Jim
P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P
  ABCDEFG == Anybody But Clinton; Dole/Engler or Forbes, maybe Gramm !!!!
          ~%@%~ Politically Incorrect and Proud of It! ~%@%~
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-