RE: reusing auto trans oil in t/c

From: Jane V Elliott (elliott@cyberspace.com)
Date: Fri Jun 21 1996 - 22:53:14 EDT

Since my '92 3.9 is a 5 sp'd I don't have bunches of ATF lying around.
When I changed all the lubes at about 33K (not in 4wd that much), I put
Mobil synthetic ATF in the transfer case and Kendall synthetic 75W-90 in
the tranny hoping to improve the shifting. The Kendall didn't improve the
shifting at all. Tonight, at 66K, I changed the transfer case and tranny
lubes with Redline ATF and 75W-90 gear lube respectively. In a short, 5
mile, drive the shifting seemed a bit better, we shall see.

About the vent on the rear differential, there is one but it's not located
on the center section. Look on the right hand side axle housing, on mine
there's a tube that extends up from the axle and is clipped to bottom of
the bed. It's got a little filter stuck in the end of it just like the
front differentials breather. I bought a few feet of fuel line tubing and
some connectors and extended mine way higher than I ever expect (?) to
submerge. The transfer case breather ends in a metal tube on the firewall
behind the engine, very handy.

Larry Elliott