Air shocks vs helper springs vs 2000lb springs

From: Karl Kromer (karlk@netcom.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 1996 - 15:32:51 EDT

Hi all,

I tow a 2700 lb boat/trailer with my Dakota (V8, 5 spd, standard
cab) and the rear end sags quite a bit if I load up the back
as well. So I'm debating geting air shocks or helper springs
to level the truck when fully loaded. I've also thought of
getting the leaf springs that come with the 2000lb payload
package, but I'd hate to ruin the fairly nice ride my truck
has when unloaded. My truck has a cab level shell (200lb?);
would this be enough weight to smooth out the ride with
the heavy duty springs?

Opinions?

-Karl