RE: exhaust rust -Reply

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Mon Jul 01 1996 - 16:23:03 EDT

To: iggy@merit.edu@INTERNET
Cc: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET
From: Clement_D on Mon, Jul 1, 1996 4:11 PM
Subject: RE: exhaust rust -Reply

Cc: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET
From: iggy@merit.edu@INTERNET on Mon, Jul 1, 1996 3:36 PM

> On my Dakota, the catalytic converter on my 1996 Dakota is nearly half
>the way back to the bumper. I was thinking that it didn't seem likely that
>changing the stuff from the cat back, would be very productive expecialy
>since it seems to be pushing 3" with the stock stuff(on a V8). So I guess
>my question is, how much can you really expect to gain with a aftermarket
>cat back system on a 1996 Dakota with a V8?

Likely in the range of 5-10 hp.

Also, remember that flow is not a linear function. Going from 2.5 to 3" will
have more impact than going from 2 to 2.5". Another thing to remember is the
after market mufflers have much less internal restriction than the stock
ones. Take a look down inside a stock muffler and the interanl plumping will
be a lot smaller than the inlet/outlet size. If you look at the FlowMaster
muffler it is nothing more than a can with two or three plates welded in
that cause the exhaust flow to change direction a couple of times.

Dave Clement