Re: Bigger tires, lifts, etc.

From: Brian Cleary (bcleary@gold.interlog.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 1996 - 03:52:41 EDT

> Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 22:28:16 -0700
> To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu
> From: John Lindsay <jlindsay@oharamfg.com>
> Subject: Bigger tires, lifts, etc.

> I'm new to the list...... gots a '95 V-8 ext.cab 4x4.
>
> Just got done replacing the original tires at 42k with Bridgestone Duelers,
> 9.5x29. They clear fine, with a 1/4" or so trimming of the rubber "skirt" on
> the inner front fender wells.
>
> I want to get this boy some altitude.... maybe run 33's. Anyone have =first
> hand= experience with either the 3" body lift or the Trailmaster suspension
> lift kit? I'm especially interested in the latter. What's all involved in
> the installation? True bolt on, or is cutting/welding involved? Round
> figures..... how long for the job?
>
> What are y'all running for tires/wheels?
>
> Thanx.
>
> Maddog

I have a 3" body lift on my 89 with BFG 32x11.5's. Minor trim on the
fenders and then re-apply the stock flares into the new position.
Still rubs a little in reverse with full lock on steering but not
bad. The body lift took about 6 hours as my slip yoke on the
steering column was siezed. (new longer one came in lift kit). Alot
of banging and swearing and it finally came off. A 3" extension had
to be brazed onto the shift linkage. (propane torch and brazing rod).
 The kit came with brackets to raise the front bumper but none for
the rear???? I relocated the rear myself with minor fabrication.
(unfortunatly only have 2 bolts per side holding on the bumper
instead of the original 3.)

Brian Cleary
bcleary@interlog.com