Re: Breather hose

From: Glenn S. Wiltse (iggy@merit.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 12 1996 - 08:08:14 EDT

Ah, but consider this...

   I was a little(still am) concerned about what to do with this
hose that comes from the divers side valve cover into my old air
cleaner housing. It's not the PCV hose, as that goes directly into
the intake manifold on the motor. I didn't and still don't know what
the hose in question is suposed to do. I was concerned about lots
of issues, like oveall vacume or pressure levels... After monkeying
around for a while I determined a couple of things... This hose actually
has vacuum to it, this is what first confused me, I had expected presure
to be released via this hose. Then I was concerned about filteration of
the air being sucked through this hose but I also realised that in the
stock set up, there is no filteration coming from the carb air filter.
I examined the connector at the valve cover and it apears to have a
filter at that end. I ultimatly decided to place a peice of cloth over
the end of the hose and secure it with a tie wrap.

   I still don't understand this hose or it's purpose, but I'm reasonably
confident that what I have done is not going to endanger the motor. If
I discover otherwise, I will make the nessesary changes.

   So can any of you shed light on this? It's been along time since
I owned a V8 Chrysler product and the old ones I owned never had
this type of set up, and I do not understand what it is for, or what
the hazards may be with not connecting it like it is from the factory.