Breather hose, oil

From: Brent Cring (CringB@smtp.nvg.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 1996 - 08:42:18 EDT

The breather is connected to low pressure by being connected to the air
filter housing. This is the preferred method of venting the crankcase
pressure as it helps to suck the high pressure out of the cranckcase. I
have actually heard of some racers going as far as hooking the breather
vent hose to the exhaust, very low pressure. This brings the crankcase
pressure down lower, increasing engine performance and putting less
pressure on seals(it can actually suck oil out of the crankcase). My
opinion I don't think it would hurt anything leaving the breather open to
atmospheric pressure, but you are probably decreasing your engine
performance, very very slightly.

Now, for a question for everyone. In the dakota owners manual, they
recommend using only 10w-30 oil and suggest not using any heavy
weights. I run synthetic oil and have been considering running 5w-50 or
20w-50 to increase my oil pressure. Anyone else running higher
viscosity oils? My oil pressure seems a bit lower than normal, about 1/8
to 1/4 on the gauge, I have been told synthetic oils tend to have lower
pressure because they flow better; higher velocity thus lower pressure.
I have a 91 dakota with a V-8 with 76,000 miles its always had synthetic
oil so I wouldn't think it is worn out. Any opinions?

Brent
91 V-8 4x4