RE: Emissions Trouble

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com.mot.com)
Date: Sun Jul 14 1996 - 19:50:47 EDT

To: /S=jstamour@av8r.dwc.
edu/OU3=SENDONLY/OU2=UNREG/OU=SMTP/P=MOT/A=MOT/C=US/; Dakota Mailing List
From: Clement_D on Sun, Jul 14, 1996 7:58 PM
Subject: RE: Emissions Trouble

From: /S=jstamour@av8r.dwc.
edu/OU3=SENDONLY/OU2=UNREG/OU=SMTP/P=MOT/A=MOT/C=US/ on Sun, Jul 14, 1996 5:
39 AM

>I have an 89 4by with the 3.9l 6 in it.. I have headers with 2 1/2in pipe
>to the back with no cat's just muffelers.. I went to get it inspected and
>it failed the emissions test.. No Big Suprise there.. But I was surprised
>on how close it was to passing.. Does anyone know if a new o2 sensor
>would make it run leaner.. I mean having an old O2 sensor would make the
>computer make the truck run rich right? So a sensor my put me on the
>passing side?

Changing the O2 sensor will likely not make much difference, these things
either work or do not work at all. A cheaper and easier trick would be to
run the gas tank down to a couple of gallons left and put in 6 or 7 bottles
of dry gas. A friend of mine was failing by about twice the limit because of
a bad cam (he had no plans to repair and was driving the car into the
ground) and put in 10 bottles on top of about three gallons of gas and
passed, no other changes.

Remeber to fill the tank right after the test to dilute the dry gas to a
more acceptable level.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE