Re: 3" Dyno-Max Super Turbo

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 1996 - 12:18:58 EDT

> From: KMansfie@compucom.com@INTERNET on Thu, Jul 25, 1996 9:47 AM
>
> >>"The 3" Dyno-Max Super Turbo arrived today from J C Whitney. "
> >>
> >>Larry,
>
> >How much $$$? Super Shops wants around $40, depending on
> >the in/out config. Are you planning on the 3" cat-back single?
>
> I happened to be browsing around the local Auto Palace and saw a display for
> Arvin/Maremount Cherry Bomb Turbo II mufflers. From what I could see they
> appeared to be equivalent to the Walker Dyno-Max and and the price was right
> ($22.00 for 2.5 in/out). I picked up one of those and the 2.5" tail-pipe
> will be ready tonight. If all goes well the exhaust should be in tonight and
> I will have a cat back system for less than $50.00.
>
> What impressed me about the Cherry Bomb Turbo II was the construction. It
> weighted close to twice what the standard replacement muffler did. The
> in/outlets appeared to be 16 gauge material and it was completely aluminized.
> Combining that with the 16 gauge tubing in the tail pipe I do not think I
> will be purchasing another exhaust.
>
> Dave Clement
> 89 4x4 LE

I'm curious about these exhaust mods...how much additional noise is
produced? My neighbor has a Harley with open pipes that gets pretty
annoying at times. I'd still like to be able to start my truck late
at night without worrying about waking people up (assuming I'm light
on the throttle). I realize that it won't be the same, but I'd like
some opinion on the noise increase. Thanks.

-Jim.
'87 V6 auto 4x4