RE: Foul Smell - A/C Problem?

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Thu Jul 18 1996 - 10:29:06 EDT

To: bbeep71@ix.netcom.com@INTERNET; dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET
From: Clement_D on Thu, Jul 18, 1996 10:29 AM
Subject: RE: Foul Smell - A/C Problem?

From: bbeep71@ix.netcom.com@INTERNET on Thu, Jul 18, 1996 9:56 AM

Eric Kozowski <kozowski@structured.net> Writes:

>>>Wanted to pick the "collective brain" on the list for a somewhat
>>strange
>>>problem, I'm having. I've got a '96 Dak, with A/C, and the new
>>refrigerant
>>>(R134a), and it works great (the trip up and back to C@C was quite
>>>comfortable). So my problems isn't when the A/C is on, but when it's
>>>off,
>>>and usually after I've run the air for a while. If my hot/cold
>>switch is on
>>>the cold side, and not in recirculate mode, I get this weird oily
>>>chemical
>>>smell which emanates from the vents, and I can't quite seem to place
>>>what it
>>>is or where it's from. Doesn't seem to happen when I'm using warm
>>air
>>>(didn't happen all winter). Could it be A/C compressor oil leaking
>>>into
>>>the system?? Ideas??
>>
>>I have a '96 4X4 V8 AT w/ AC and get the same "smell". It seems a bit
>>musty, too.

>I've got a '96 4x4 V6 AT w/AC and the smell too. I've even found that
>the smell seems to come anytime I am just running the cool air through
>the vents (non-AC). It seems to get worse when the humidity is higher.
>
>No clue what causes it, though...

I have had problems with both my Dakota and Daytona getting bits of leaves
and such into the air box. With the Daytona it has gotten to the point a
couple of times the drain has plugged and condensation will leak onto the
floor mats. I have always associated the musty smell right after shutting
down the A/C to be the aroma of wet pieces of decaying junk in the air box.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE