Re: Foul Smell - A/C Problem?

From: Doran Burton (doranb@sprynet.com)
Date: Thu Jul 18 1996 - 18:01:19 EDT

Dave Goerlich wrote:

> Eric Kozowski <kozowski@structured.net> Writes:
>
> >>Wanted to pick the "collective brain" on the list for a somewhat
> >strange
> >>problem, I'm having. I've got a '96 Dak, with A/C, and the new
> >refrigerant
> >>(R134a), and it works great (the trip up and back to C@C was quite
> >>comfortable). So my problems isn't when the A/C is on, but when it's
> >off,
> >>and usually after I've run the air for a while. If my hot/cold
> >switch is on
> >>the cold side, and not in recirculate mode, I get this weird oily
> >chemical
> >>smell which emanates from the vents, and I can't quite seem to place
> >what it
> >>is or where it's from. Doesn't seem to happen when I'm using warm
> >air
> >>(didn't happen all winter). Could it be A/C compressor oil leaking
> >into
> >>the system?? Ideas??
> >
> >I have a '96 4X4 V8 AT w/ AC and get the same "smell". It seems a bit
> >musty, too.
>
> I've got a '96 4x4 V6 AT w/AC and the smell too. I've even found that
> the smell seems to come anytime I am just running the cool air through
> the vents (non-AC). It seems to get worse when the humidity is higher.
>
> No clue what causes it, though...
>
> Anyone?
>
> Dave
> '96 Dakota Sport 4x4
> '71 Road Runner

In the TSB section of the Dakota Home Page, there is a TSB or somekind of bulliten
regarding A/C odors (at least for '94), which tells me there may be a fix for the
problem. I have an odor in '94 also, but it isn't unbarable and usually disipates
after a few minutes of the fan blowing.

db(PayDay)
94 3.9L V-6 5spd Sport