Re: Towing package

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 1996 - 09:37:23 EDT

JT McBride wrote:

> You also get overload springs, higher amperage alternator (with the extra
> power lead that is draped over the valve cover, just waiting to wear through
> and short out), and the pigtail out back.

  Hmmm, I'll have to check this out on my '95. No need for another

> I too wish Chrysler had seen
> fit to give us an actual connector out back, along with a factory-installed
> receiver hitch.

  I don't mind not having the connector on the trailer wiring harness,
since
there are many possible connectors and it cost me about $5 and 10
minutes
to crimp & seal a 4-wire boat trailer connector to mine.

  It would have been nice to get a factory-installed Class III receiver,
though. I believe that this is part of the towing package on '96s and
later (can anyone confirm?). However, I imagine this would have ended
up costing more than my receiver eventually did: $90 and maybe 90
minutes
of labor.

  I'll tell you one thing: towing with my '95 Dakota is about a million
times more comfortable than towing with our old '84 S-10 (2.8l carb V6,
what a dog!).

  Ron