Discussion on MSD ignition and coil -Reply

From: KEN MANSFIELD (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 1996 - 00:10:08 EDT

Larry,

I bought the MSD Blaster-2 coil ($26) but haven't put it in yet. I intended
to buy the MSD-6A ignition ($118) to go with it, but I've been getting some
conflicting info, too. My Dodge advisor also told me the OEM coil was as
good as any aftermarket, putting out 50-60kV. I had trouble swallowing
that, too. Remember when factory coils could barely muster 15kV?

When queried, the MSD Tech Support guy said he could not speak to the
comparison of his coil to the Dakota coil. But, when questioned about the
effectiveness of his 6A unit on the Dakota, (where the SBEC controls
spark), he said the 6A, when placed in series between the SBEC and the
Blaster-2 coil, could improve performance by firing each plug 6 times per
rev. and maintaining constant (and superior) voltage through the entire
RPM range.

Is it worth $144...? Or more, if it trashes other expensive parts? Don't
know.

He also claimed MSD ignitions and coils were comperable to Vance and
Hines units in performance. Can't speak to that either, but they are
comperable in price: about $450 for a dual coil and ignition setup for my
FJ1200. They also make units for dirt bikes, ATVs and watercraft.

MSD is in El Paso, TX.

klm
>>> Jane V Elliott <elliott@cyberspace.com> 07/17/96 07:33pm >>>
IMHO the stock Dakota plug wires aren't very good, but then until the
"100,00 mile tuneup" garbage nobody's were. A guy at work with an
Escort
GT (!,?) had his stock plug wires go south in less than a year.

BTW, stuck the Autolites that had come out when the Gold Champions
went in
back in (confused yet, I am!), and the truck runs a lot better when cold.
No more jerking and farting along until it'd gone a mile or so. The Mopar
SBEC is going back in as soon as the fuel level gets down to the low fuel
level light and it gets a load of premium.

Does anyone out there know if there's a good aftermarket coil that'll work
with the electronics? I don't want to fry the SBEC or anything else. A
Dodge parts guy told me that the stock Dakota coil was about as good as
you could get, which I strongly doubt. The Mopar catalog indicates coils
for non-electronic ignitions before such and such a year. I'm confused.

Larry Elliott, '92, 3.9, 4x4, 5 sp'd, LE