Re: I'm having a problem with my automatic trans

From: Jane V Elliott (elliott@cyberspace.com)
Date: Mon Jul 29 1996 - 23:18:49 EDT

When I first read this it occurred to me that it was the B-29 propeller
they use for a fan blade causing the howl before the fan clutch
disengaged. But when the mileage came up it seemed like someone just got
a hearing aid or they haven't been paying ANY attention.

My wife's car does something similar if it hasn't been driven for awhile,
which it didn't do earlier in its life. It especially noticeable if it's
been left parked in the driveway (slightly downhill) for a few days. My
theory is that the fluid is leaking from the torque converter over time
allowing the tranny to slip until the converter gets itself full.

Anybody else got a good theory (or bad?)?

Larry Elliott, '92, 3.9, 4x4, 5 sp'd, LE