Re: Front Driveline Noise?

From: Phil McClay (Phil_McClay@qmgateib.mitre.org)
Date: Fri Aug 02 1996 - 12:30:59 EDT

         Reply to: RE>Front Driveline Noise?

I think that is normal. I have essentially the same truck as a 1994, except I
have the 5-speed manual transmission. Keep in mind that the front axles,
differential, and drive shaft are always turning (no hubs on this baby) and
this is probably the source of the hum. The manual transmission also makes
noise (shop manual says this is normal too) -- I don't know about the
automatic. The hum also seems louder at slower speeds, smoothing out at
highway speed. The Wrangler ATs make noise too, but not bad and I like them.

I didn't understand the details about the Dakota 4WD system when I bought the
truck, but now that I do I'm happy with it:
- no hubs (and no way to malfunction either going in/out of 4WD)
- C/V joints instead of U-joints (better fuel economy)
- real (physical) shift lever connected to the transfer case (no push-button
electronic shift on the dash for me)
- since the front drive train is always turning, there is no speed restriction
for shift-on-the-fly in/out of 4WD
- no difference between 2WD/4WD fuel mileage

Phil McClay
mcclay@mitre.org

--------------------------------------
Date: 8/2/96 10:39
From: RICHARD_GAMBINO@VNET.IBM.COM

I'm new to the list, and have a '96 V-8 4X4 Auto 3.55 Club Cab that has had
what seems to be noticeable "road noise" since the day it was new. It does
not appear any worse now after 10K miles, but I have always wondered about it.
 It is really only noticeable under about 30 mph and sounds sort of similar to
the constant "hum" as with a bad axle bearing and is coming from the front
driveline. It varies with road surface so it might just be tire noise (but
I've had Wranglers before without this type of noise). It seems to be alot of
road and drivetrain noise being transmitted from the front.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar? Maybe this is one of the
improvement areas slated for the '97s?

Rich