RE: Out of steam at 115 mph

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 1996 - 10:58:50 EDT

To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET; iggy@merit.edu@INTERNET;
SchellinPM@corning.com@INTERNET
From: Clement_D on Tue, Aug 6, 1996 11:04 AM
Subject: RE: Out of steam at 115 mph

From: SchellinPM@corning.com@INTERNET on Tue, Aug 6, 1996 9:56 AM

>My stock (okay, a K&N filter) '93 2WD 3.9l 5-speed runs out of steam at an
>indicated 115, so I should hope the V8's can do better than that. It needs

>to be in 4th gear to hit top speed, BTW. Very stable at that speed - no
>vibration to speak of or wandering.

Just a point to remember; The power required to increase speed changes
exponentialy with speed. What that means is a V8 Dakota with 25% more power
than a V6 Dakota can not go 25% faster. Realistically, if the V6 has a top
speed of 115mph the V8's will only be in the low mid 120's.

Also, depending on the rear end ratio it is not unusual for a vehicle not to
be able to reach redline in top gear or to actually go faster in a lower
gear than top gear.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE