Out of steam at 115 mph

From: erh (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 1996 - 01:15:37 EDT

I'm so glad for you to see me,

I've been on vaca for a week so that's why some of my replies to the
threads seem tardy. My PC was torn down for moving and I haven't
connected it yet. Borrowed this laptop from work just to read my 154
e-mails. Oh, and not to brag, but my Thinkpad 760 should arrive this
week.

Anyway, about transmission speeds and shifts:

My 92 318 Mag auto-tranny seems to be shifting properly after 77k miles
and only one service. I can easily find the correct throttle position to
unlock the converter or downshift to 3rd or 2nd (depending on current
speed, of course). My wish is it's command, if I throttle it right. Never
had the problem of jumping gears while in cruise.

Newest thrash: 96 Acura Integra

We were humming along I-35 at about 75 mph when an Accord jerked
onto the highway in front of the Integra. So, the Integra jerked into the
middle lane in front of me (too close). So, with the left lane empty, I
jerked over and floored it. The Integra went to fourth and tried to keep
up, but he couldn't. He kept getting smaller and smaller in my rearview.
He finally exited in shame and I saw 115 in the speedo. I really think he
could have eventually outlegged me. But, as the saying goes, second
place is the first loser (do Olympic silver medalists know that?).

At 115, my Dak seemed to be running out of steam. I didn't check the
tach but I'm sure it was a few hundred away from red (not enough
engine noise), and I don't remember if it was in 3rd or OD at the time. I
did have the windows up and the A/C on and was seriously trying to
make a new hole in the floorboard with the pedal. I kinda think it had
something to do with having all the aerodynamics of a brick wall.

Comments? Any other Dakota top speeds to talk about? How about
from you slammers? Lower should be better for topping out higher.

klm