RE: FWD>RE>Out of steam at 115

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 1996 - 11:07:04 EDT

To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET; msolomon@mail07.mitre.
org@INTERNET
From: Clement_D on Tue, Aug 6, 1996 11:14 AM
Subject: RE: FWD>RE>Out of steam at 115

From: msolomon@mail07.mitre.org@INTERNET on Tue, Aug 6, 1996 10:15 AM

>On a slightly, different note. How fast have people towed trailers? I have

>towed my J/24 sailboat (around 4,500 lbs loaded) from New England to South
>Carolina. In the Carolinas, we could sustain around 80 MPH in 5th, could
>probably done alittle higher in 4th gear. The boat and trailer sit about
10
>to 11 feet off the gound which is a huge wind drag.

I have never tried to go fast pulling a trailer but I had an experince once
that scared the hell out of me.

I was heading north out of LasVegas on Rt15 in a rental car with the pedal
to the metal. The speedo only went to 85 but I estimate that I was going
close to 100mph when a Ford Wagon pulling a small AirStream style trailer
went by me like I was standing still. What scared me about this experience
was the car was floating around on it's suspension like it was about to
bounce out of control and the trailer was swaying back and forth across a
whole lane. I was expecting to see this rig upside down in the desert at any
minute but never saw it again before my turn off in Mercury.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE