RE: torsion bars

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Aug 22 1996 - 16:14:58 EDT

I think the arguments about the space savings are the most significant reason
the 4x4 Dakota has the torsion bar setup. When the Dakota project was conceived,
the Chrysler Corp was just recovering from bankruptcy, there was not a lot of
money available. A new engine was out, so they trimmed a pair off the old 318
and came up with the 3.9l V6. The exterior dimensions of the truck were dictated
by the marketing concept of the mid-size truck (now abandoned for a right-size
truck - hence the new, wider fenders). So the Dakota had to squeeze between
full-size trucks, and the Mitsubishi-supplied Ram 50. To go with coil springs,
or probably leafs (poor ride), would have meant a wider truck.

As stated, Chrysler also had quite a lot of experience with torsion front
suspensions, it gave a nice, narrow profile, and it reduces sprung weight over
any other design, thus improving ride.

What I wonder, is why didn't they fit the 2WD version with torsion bars too?

Jim

PS. The better ride was probably the greatest factor in my buy decision, though
the V8 did too. I off-road a good bit, and sure, I'd like to fit bigger tires,
but the 31/10.5-15 can squeeze under the wheel wells, and any bigger tires get
very expensive at replacement time. IMHO it's a reasonable tradeoff. And if you
want REAL off-road performance, Chrysler will now happily sell you a Jeep, with
a myriad of aftermarket doo-dads. The new TJ uses the GC (& Ram) coil-link setup.