Re: Any Body Rust?

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Fri Aug 23 1996 - 10:56:11 EDT

I have an '87 that has no visible exterior body rust. The original
owner drove the truck about 10,000 miles during the first year that
he owned it and then only 10,000 during the next 7 years. I assume
that much of the mileage was during bad weather. This is probably not
representative of normal wear (it still has the original exhaust).
There is some rust on the engine block, suspension, and the starter,
but none on the underside of the bed or on the doors.
I drove the truck all last winter through the
frequent snows in the Washington DC area, rinsing the salt off the
underbody when the roads cleared. So far it has held up just fine.
I'm sure that the sheet metal on these trucks has been galvanized,
so rust is only likely to show up where the paint is severely chipped.

-Jim.
'87 V6 auto 33,300 miles

--
James A. Babcock, Software Engineer    email: james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com