RE: an introduction...

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Mon Aug 26 1996 - 08:00:59 EDT

To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET; pstair@peaka.net@INTERNET
From: Clement_D on Mon, Aug 26, 1996 8:10 AM
Subject: RE: an introduction...

From: pstair@peaka.net@INTERNET on Sun, Aug 25, 1996 1:34 AM

> . . . I'm curious about the pros and cons of these
>aftermarket oil additives. Do they really do all the manufacturers
>claim they do or is it hype? I didn't see much improvement in gas
>mileage after adding the Slick 50, but the temperature gauge did drop
>some. Less friction, less heat?
>Anyway, enjoy reading all the material posted. Very informative and
>entertaining!

Paul,
Welcome aboard!!

If you had been on the Mopar Mailing List a couple of months ago you would
have heard more than you wanted about the teflon oil additives. The most out
spoken were predicting complete and sudden engine failure, the more
conservative were stating does little or no good but likely will not do any
harm. The concensus was there is no reason to use it.

My own opinion is; until I see some real independant test data using
standard SAE test methods, I will not use the stuff. Everything I have seen
in print or through the electronic media in support of the stuff has been
either personal testimonials (which don't mean sh**) or testing run by the
manufacturerer (or under contract for said) and reported by them (which can
be easily slanted).

It's interesting that Valvoline is now selling a version (TM8) of the stuff.
I do not believe that Valvoline would sell anything that could potentially
harm and engine but I do believe they would jump on the hype if it would
make a buck.

If you are realing looking to do something to extend the life of your engine,
 use a synthetic oil like Mobil 1. There is plenty of real data supporting
the superiority of synthetics. But then again I have 201,000 miles on my
Dakota and it has only seen conventional oils. The engine shows no signs of
getting tired yet.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE