Re: Hello Dakota Folks

From: Glenn S. Wiltse (iggy@merit.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 06 1996 - 07:42:03 EDT

    Well Rob, I am not entirely sure what is available on the new models but
I'll tell you what I wish I could have gotten on my 96 Dakota 4x4 Club Cab,
with a V8 and a Automatic Trans...

    I bought my truck off the lot and it came pretty close to what I really
wanted on it and could afford. First I'll tell you the things that my truck
has that I feel are important... Limited slip differential

    WHat it doesn't have that I wanted is the 4x4 protection package
otherwise known as skid plates. This is such a enexpensive option that
it's really silly not to get it if you can. I have looked into purchaseing
these as parts, and it would cost me about $700 for the three skid plates
they put on(Gas tank, trans/transfer case, and fron differnetial). It's
about a $200 option tops, get if from the factory if you can, I'm going
to start looking at junk yards for at least the trany plate.

    If it gets more then about 20 C for any length of time there, you will
want the Air conditioning.

    I think the heavy suspension is purely a personal choice. I've got what
I think they call 1800# suspension, and it seems to ride pretty nice and
has a little beef too it, it works for me.

    If I could have gotten it I would have went for some sort of suspension
lift package, and/or the largest tires I could get. It is not cheap to do
this kind of stuff with aftermarket products. If you feel you need more
ground clearance get it from the factory if you can. I don't do any REALLY
serious off roading, so I'd like it mainly for looks, but the beniffits of
a few more inchs is always very important whenever you may go off road.
   I went off road with a buddy to see what I could do with my Dakota. He
has a Jeep Wrangler with lockers and a wench, so I wasn't worried about
getting stuck... We played around on some terrain that was reasonably
steep hills with reasonably deep rutts in them. There was one hill that
I didn't make it up, but felt I could have if I had dared to hit it about
40 mile per hour... Basicly I had too little ground clearance, not enough
wheel travel, I ended up backing down the hill 3 times. (my friend
basicly idled up it in his heavly modified jeep) I did get stuck that
day, when I was going down a hill that droped off rather quickly at the
top. On the 96s the lowest part of the frame is right behind the front
tires on to the back of the transmission. There is a crossmember that
acts much like a scoop shovel under there too, this is normaly where
one of the skid plates resides. I feel if I had the skid plate, I would
have slid over the section of that hill and not had to have my truck
pulled back up that hill.
    All in all my buddy was very impressed with how my stock Dodge
performed. I know however that with 3 inchs and skid plates, I would
have climed every hill and had never gotten stuck going down that one.
There were plenty of other hills my buddy could climb, that I didn't
even attempt, but mainly because a 131" wheelbase truck will not go
where a Jeep Wrangler will go.