Re: Hello Dakota Folks

From: Glenn S. Wiltse (iggy@merit.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 09 1996 - 09:14:32 EDT

I have never been too big on ABS. My new truck has it, but haven't had much
use for it yet. From what I hear, there hasn't been much of a decrease in
accedents for autos that have ABS. They bascily feel that people don't use
them properly, they end up letting off the pedel when they feel it
puslsating wich basicly defeats the purpose of ABS.
   I assmume that money is somewhat of a concern with your new vehicle
purchase. I would be very likely to not purchase the 4 wheel ABS if I
was on a limted budget. I deffintly would have purchased a higher
suspension and bigger wheels over the ABS, if that was a option. I stll
feel like that if your a good driver, and you understand the limits of
your vehicles braking, you can control your braking nearly as well as
any ABS can. ABS does not defeat the laws of physics.

   I have been seing new Dakotas on the road for about 3 weeks or so. I
live in the Metro Detroit area, so the first one I saw may have been a
pre-production one. I have not looked, but I do beleive that the 97s are
in the dealerships around here now. I suspect that they may be a little
hard to come by since I suspect demand will be high. That will also mean
you'll likely pay full sticker price for one. My 96 stickered for $25,000
and I bought it for $20,000, and that's the main reason I did not even
consider waiting for the new model.