Re: Dual Exhaust for 93 Dakota

From: Robert Allen (boballen@sky.net)
Date: Mon Sep 09 1996 - 07:16:50 EDT

Glenn S. Wiltse wrote:

> I don't have any answers for you, I have similar questions and maybe
> a comment or two...
>
> I am interested in finding out about options that may be available
> for a legal dual exaust system, preferably with headers... Does anyone
> sell such a system? Mopar? It seems to me that you should be able to
> put two cataletic converters on a truck...

I don't think you are going to get a true dual exhaust to do what you want.
Reasons:

1) The Dakota folks are using the 'other side' where your 2nd exhaust will run
for things like electrical wires and the plastic gas tank. You don't need heat
there.
2) To be emmissions legal, the O2 sensor has to be operable. They only use a
single O2 sensor in front of the catalytic converter so, even with headers,
the exhaust gases need to converge at the 02 sensor.
3) Most aftermarket dual exhaust still go through the single cat then branch
to form two pipes. That second pipe has to snake around the ABS wiring, gas
tank, and rear axle to exit on the left side.

The aftermarket has responded to this with headers that include a Y-pipe to a
single cat, aftermarket high-flow catalytic converters, and 3" inch cat back
systems. Thus you can get very good breathing, be emissions legal, and have
few installtion hassles. The only reason for duals may be esthetic.

I have a '96 with a Gibson 3" cat-back. I rather like it and it is completely
legal. I haven't been able to find headers yet (for a '96). The headers for
prior users seem to stack the pipes above the valve covers and, from Mopar,
they are chromed. This would seem to increase heat in the engine compartment,
I would think. As the 'hot tip' for intake is an open element, I would think
this would be counter-productive.

I would like to find headers that are HPC coated, including the Y pipe, and
have the correct O2 sensor location but so far, I have failed.

Incidently, on my Dakota, the y-Pipe seems to be 2 inch and the cat and pipe
is 2 1/2. Somewhere I heard a rumor that 318 exhaust manifolds are reasonable
efficient so maybe just a bigger, higher-flow Y-pipe and cat would work.
Remember they are getting 275+ horsepower out of F-body cars using single 3"
cats and 3" stock (quiet) exhaust.

Finally, for you V6 folks, I have seen a complete header and Y-pipe system
from Edelbrock. And they will sell it to you with a high-temp coating.

Okay, I'm starting to ramble...

Bob Allen, Kansas City
'96 2WD SWB V8 Reg. Cab Sport