RE: Shockingly Opinionated?

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Wed Sep 18 1996 - 07:35:46 EDT

From: boballen@sky.net@INTERNET on Tue, Sep 17, 1996 11:02 PM

>Anyone have any opinions on shock absorbers?
>
>Truck: '96 Dakota, 2WD Reg. Cab. SWB V8 Auto, 10,000 miles
>
>Problem: The truck dives under braking. Not a big deal except when
>dragging the boat out to the lake.
>
>So: Maybe better shocks. The stock ones do not seem to have any
>dampening on rebound: only on bounce do they dampen and they are free on
>rebound. Well, when the rear end unloads under braking, that is all
>rebound (the shocks are extending) and the shock (and springs) top out.

Unless you are using special application shocks they are all made with
significantly more rebound damping than compresion damping. With only 10k
miles I would not think you have worn out shocks but it is possible. If they
are I would think i is a warranty item.

>What about Monroe shocks? Their higher-end shocks are the Magnum-Gas LT
>(or something) on sale for $20 and they have their Road-Sensing Magnum
>Gas for $28; on sale from $35.

There has been some what of a concensus that the Monroe Shocks are not the
best choice. I just replaced the shocks on my 4x4 with Gabriel Gas LT shocks
and I am very happy so far. I got them for $20.00 bucks each on sale at
Sears under the Sears RoadHandler LT label. Good things have been said about
Bilsteins but you need to play games with stock numbers for the Dakota. If
you are having problems while towing I think I would look at adjustable
shocks. There are many different ones out there right now (last months 4
Wheeler mag had an article) but Rnacho 9000's seem to be the most readily
available. I belive they are in the $50.00 range each and they also sell a
kit so that you can adjust them from inside the truck. Even if you do not
get the kit the adjustment knob is easily accessable at the bottom of the
shock.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE

ps: In this day and age your "good" tools should be metric. There are very
few fasteners that are not metric on vehicles today. You may have been
getting away with inch sizes because the popular sizes on cars and trucks
are very close in size betwen metric and inch.