Re: Help!

From: Chris M. Smith (chris@maroon.us.dell.com)
Date: Wed Sep 18 1996 - 15:35:56 EDT

Schelling, Paul M wrote:

> So a few months ago, my '93 3.9l 5spd starts running just a hair rough when
> cold or a little damp out, and starts getting slightly worse fuel economy.
> Everything else normal.
>
> I started by changing the plugs (50k miles - it was time), but that made no
> difference, and then I put new plug wires in - also no help. My next step
> was gonna be a new distributor cap.
>
> Then last night after I gassed up (it was dry out) and this morning (a rainy
> one), she stalled on me at every stop on the way from and to work.
> Restarted instantly and then idled normally every time. Seems like every
> time I let my foot off the gas to let the engine drop back to idle, it would
> just keep dropping. It was a lot worse this morning than last night, tho.
>
> And then (this is the weird part) I noticed I was getting the upshift
> indicator idiot light - IN FIFTH GEAR!
>
> The problem is severe enough that I don't want to spend days trying to fix
> it by trial and error - anybody out there have any ideas?!
>
> - Paul Schelling
> SchellinPM@corning.com

A bad Idle Air Control Motor can cause the rough and very low idle.
There was a TSB about this for '92. Symptom can be intermittent, but
sounds like your symptom. It's not a very expensive part, and very easy
to replace (2 screws and 1 electrical plug) It mounts to the throttle
body to control air flow.

No clue on the shift light.

-Chris