Help!

From: Schelling, Paul M (SchellinPM@corning.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 1996 - 13:08:00 EDT

So a few months ago, my '93 3.9l 5spd starts running just a hair rough when
cold or a little damp out, and starts getting slightly worse fuel economy.
 Everything else normal.

I started by changing the plugs (50k miles - it was time), but that made no
difference, and then I put new plug wires in - also no help. My next step
was gonna be a new distributor cap.

Then last night after I gassed up (it was dry out) and this morning (a rainy
one), she stalled on me at every stop on the way from and to work.
 Restarted instantly and then idled normally every time. Seems like every
time I let my foot off the gas to let the engine drop back to idle, it would
just keep dropping. It was a lot worse this morning than last night, tho.

And then (this is the weird part) I noticed I was getting the upshift
indicator idiot light - IN FIFTH GEAR!

The problem is severe enough that I don't want to spend days trying to fix
it by trial and error - anybody out there have any ideas?!

 - Paul Schelling
   SchellinPM@corning.com