Premium Fuel (was: 104 octane boost)

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 1996 - 07:48:14 EDT

From: elliott@cyberspace.com@INTERNET on Mon, Sep 30, 1996 11:21 PM

>Can't understand how fuel with a higher octane rating will ruin an engine.
>Waste your money yes, but ruin your engine I doubt it. Unless you were
>running highly leaded high octane fuel which might lead to badly fouled
>plugs and heavy deposits on the piston crowns. Since leaded premium fuel
>is not readily available anymore, I can't see what the problem would be.
>Been running premium in my bike which is supposed to run on regular for
>nearly 50K miles with no damage.

Higher Octane fuel WILL NOT ruin an engine that normally runs on regular.
Higher Octane in gasoline slows down the burn rate and makes the flame
growth in the cylinder more controlled. Low octane fuel in an engine
specifing premium will ignite and burn uncontrolably resulting in detonation
and knock.

There is no advantage to using premium if you do not need it but there is
certainly no harm.

Lead used to be used as an octane increasing additive in gasoline. It is not
used anymore mainly because it will ruin a catylitic convertor. If you use
after market octane boosters make sure that they do not have lead in them.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE