Re: Premium Fuel (was: 104 octane boost)

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 1996 - 11:03:47 EDT

There's a lot of discussion related to gasoline and octane on
the list. I highly recommend that people interested in the
subject take a look at Bruce Hamilton's _excellent_ Gasoline
FAQ that is periodically posted to the rec.autos.* Usenet
groups.

  One available Web mirror is

http://www.smartpages.com/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/top.html

  Some of the info answers issues raised on the list:

> >Can't understand how fuel with a higher octane rating will ruin an engine.

  Won't.

> Higher Octane in gasoline slows down the burn rate and makes the flame
> growth in the cylinder more controlled.

  Section 6 of the FAQ seems to indicate that octane does not appear
to be "substantially related" to flame speed, i.e. burn rate of the
air/fuel mixture. It appears to have more to do with the tendency
of the fuel to decompose into easily autoignitable "end gases."
You're right about relative control over flame growth.

> Lead used to be used as an octane increasing additive in gasoline. It is not
> used anymore mainly because it will ruin a catylitic convertor. If you use
> after market octane boosters make sure that they do not have lead in them.

  Also be careful to make sure your additives do not contain
phosphorous, if you're running it in a vehicle with catalytic
converter. Phosphorus damages them as well.

  Ron "Scammer Of Trivia" Rader