Re: Premium Fuel (was: 104 octane boost)

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@relay.adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 1996 - 10:18:05 EDT

Yes. Actually 'octane' is a type of hydrocarbon molecule. Others are
butane, hexane, and heptane. I don't know each one's exact chemical formula,
but the names correlate to the number of carbon atoms in the molecule.

100% pure octane has an octane rating of 100. An octane rating
of 89 is equivalent to a mixture containing 89% octane. Pretty
straightforward I guess. I'm sure some of you remember
octane ratings of 103 or 104 when leaded premium was available.
Does anyone know how the values over 100 were determined?

-Jim.
87 V6 4x4

--
James A. Babcock, Software Engineer    email: james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com