Re: Premium Fuel (was: 104 octane boost)

From: Jane V Elliott (elliott@cyberspace.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 1996 - 22:08:51 EDT

Couldn't resist, something I finally know a little about. "Octane" as
used in rating the anti-knock properties of "motor fuel" is based not on
n-octane, an 8 carbon straight chain hydrocarbon, but 2,2,4
trimethylpentane or iso-octane. A fuel that is 100% 2,2,4
trimethylpentane (TMP) has an octane rating of 100, a fuel that is 100%
n-heptane has an octane rating of 0. Consequently a fuel that is 90% TMP
and 10% n-heptane has an octane rating of 90, and a fuel with an
equivalent anti-knock ability is rated 90. Fuels with octane ratings over
100 are based on a projection of some sort. Some aviation and racing
fuels have "octane ratings" in the 120 range, which I believe are
technically referred to as anti-knock ratings.

Larry Elliott, '92, 3.9, 4x4, 5 sp'd, LE