RE: Big Intro

From: Jon N. Steiger (stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 08 1996 - 20:56:49 EDT

>>I have been researching/admiring/looking for Dodge Dakotas for about a
>>year now and am now ready to buy one. I have been looking for one in the
>>92-93 Dakota V8 Super LE Club Cab 4x2 or 94-95 Club Sport or Reg Sport
>>((looked at a 95 reg cab with 32,000 on the clock and cords showin on the
>>rear tires))
>
>Jim - In my book 32K isn't a lot of miles. It seems like Dakota drivers put
>a good deal more miles than average (they must love to drive 'em, hee, hee).
>And bald tires aren't a reason to pass on a used vehicle. Clearly, they
>were the OEM tires, with 32K on them. Talk the seller down a couple hundred,
>and buy new tires! Would you rather have nice shiny cheapy tires, and a $400
>markup for the 'new radials'?

   I agree with this. The stock tires don't last very long at all.

   However, you could take the angle that, if this person didn't care
enough to buy new tires, then how much abuse have other parts of the
vehicle taken? There could be a simple explanation though... Perhaps
the owner couldn't afford to buy new tires, or maybe they knew they were
going to be selling it right away, so they didn't want to "waste" money
on tires...

   Tires with cords showing would flash a sort of warning sign in my brain,
causing me to look at other aspects of the truck a little more carefully
than I may have originally... IMHO, I don't think bad tires by themselves
would be enough to write off the entire truck.

>Welcome to the list!

  Ditto! :)

   Jim, (the original Jim) ;)

    I wish you luck in finding the truck you want, but I suspect you may be
fighting a difficult battle... I looked around for a 5-speed/v8 combo
and found absolutely nothing in my area. Since I couldn't sell my car,
I decided to trade it in on a new one so I could get what I wanted, rather
than buy used as I had originally intended.

   Anyway, good luck with your quest! I hope you find what you're looking
for!!

                                              -Jon-

| Jon Steiger: DoD# 1038, EAA #518210, USUA# A46209, NMA# 117376, KotWitDoDFAQ |
| stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu && http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ |
| '96 Dakota SLT V-8 Club Cab, '91 FZR600R /* Just another mangy hacker */ |